Thursday, March 08, 2007

Apparently you can't herd cats! Hellcats vs. Rhinestone Cowgirls bout recap





So the Rhinestone Cowgirl vs. the Hellcats bout was a doosey! I was shocked at how few people were there, but was kinda selfishly glad...more room for me to jump around and shorter lines in at the bar! Where were you people? Come out and show some love! The question before the bout had been: Can the Rhinestone's herd the Hellcats…the answer: herding cats IS just as hard as it sounds. The ladies went at it all night, but the Hellcats ending up taking it by 19 points. Final Score: Hellcats 42 - Rhinestone Cowgirls 23. Wish I had more information about jamming and blocking and the 'real' derby stuff…but I drank, therefore I slack! Help a sista out!

Unfortunately, because it took me so long to write this, and I *might* have had a *little* to drink that night, much of the bout is a blur. I remember yelling a lot and saying ouch a lot (mostly for Emme Propper, one tough little cowgal, who I recall getting knocked around all night.) So, if you were there and had a favorite moment or remember something too cool to not share, PLEASE leave a comment to share with the world and refresh my memory!

The Hellcats did a fun little play on their introduction. The Rhinestone's had already come out and done their intro-lap and the Hellcats were nowhere to be found. Suddenly, they emerge from the back, each with face paint a feather stuck in her hair, sticking straight up, Indian (um, Native American) style. Each girl had a new name, each a representation of what they planned to do to the Cowgirls. I was so surprised that I can't remember who was who for the intro, but I loved it! Thank goodness for me, they didn't use them all night (I have trouble enough as it is…) But it was too cute! Wait, can I say "cute" to describe something roller derby? Oh, hell no. How about killer? It was killer! Okay, that sounds better.

My favorite moment: The Wolverine. According to the lovely and hellaciously tough Honey Homocide, The Wolverine is a manuever that is performed when the Rhinestone Cowgirls are either way behind or way ahead. What happens is this, and it's a beautiful sight. Each Rhinestone Cowgirl attacks there corresponding "enemy" at the same time so there are 5 mini-fights going on. And since this IS roller derby, the benches clear FAST. It's like mad, wonderful chaos. Not that I condone violence of any sort…except this kind. :0) I had never witnessed this phenomen before, and the Rhinestone's have a won a new place in my heart. The crowd went crazy, the refs were running from derby girl pile to derby girl pile, and everyone had smiles on their faces, me most of all. What a night! Thanks to the Hellcats and Rhinestone's for a wonderfully fun evening!

Peace out & Sk8 on! Ã…naRchy

No comments: