Monday, March 05, 2007

Texas Rollergirls 3-4-07 Bout Update


It was a great start for the TXRG organization. I was both proud & lucky enough to serve on Production Crew, not only setting up for the bout but also be one of the Penalty Timers during the bout. And frankly...it was AWESOME! I can't lie or even attempt to play it "Joe Cool" here. It was a total fucking blast!

The season opener was sort of strange cause for the 1st time in TXRG history, there were a ton of trades in the pre-season. So it was absolutely crazy seeing girls like, for example, Buckshot Betsy skating for the Hell Marys instead of the Honky Tonk Heartbreakers. But variety is the spice of life & it looks like TXRG is entering the wild world of derby free-agency. It will be interesting to see what happens at the end of the 2007 season & where the chips will fall.

If you are into deep technical & play summary of the bouts, then do visit Phil Arnold. Phil gives great game summary, stats, & technical insight into every bout he attends. I wouldn't dare dream of trying to top it...there is a reason why he is the TXRG Super Fan! You can visit him Here & Here.

However, since I was effectively in the Penalty Box all night, I can tell you this...
The 1st period was filled with straight forward derby play. I recall 4 girls spending time in the box during the ENTIRE 1st half, (Dinah Mite, Lady X, Tinkerhell, & ???), 3 during the Hustler/Hell Mary bout & only 1 during the Honey/Heartbreaker bout.

But during the 2nd half, things got wild. Penalties were CAH-RAZY during the Hustler/Marys 3rd quarter. Slim Kickens was in there twice and stand-out "rookie" Lady X spent some time with us as well, as did Lady Stardust, and a few other girls. And at one point, we had 3 girls in the box at once. It got slightly hectic for us, especially for me as a newbie. I ain't gonna lie...I can't remember everyone cause, like a newbie on the job the 1st day of work, I was just trying to keep up & not screw up horribly. (And I did have 2 sad moments. A HUGE thanks goes out to Vicious van GoGo, Hog Wild, & *especially* Friction VixXxen of the Denver Roller Dolls for helpin' me out & always being there to back me up. BIG Love!!!) The 4th quarter was a bit tamer, although we had plenty going on penalty wise.

Next time, I'll bring a pad & pen, like a good little reporter, & write all this shit down. But frankly, I wasn't really there to do blog business this TXRG bout. I was just trying to LEARN & do the job at hand. (There is a huge difference between being an observer & having to keep track of the fast-paced action. I was schooled this lesson on Sunday, fo sho!) And while it might seem easy, there is definitely an art to knowing the rules, (which change as the sport rapidly grows & a new national par is set each year), execute the rules properly & fairly, and following a wicked fast game/jam while still being able to watch/hear the refs, rollergirls, announcers, and pay attention to the penalty clock in your hand all set to the tune of loud rock music you must yell over. It's definitely a job that I hope to perfect in the upcoming bouts, if given the chance.

I managed to take a few pics during the 2nd half, when there WEREN'T girls in the box, & I will get them developed ASAP & posted. (I took a disposable cam just cause I didn't want to deal with pockets & keeping up with a digital cam.) But frankly, I CANNOT wait for the next bout. Pics coming soon.

No comments: