Monday, March 26, 2007

Cherry Bombs vs. Holy Rollers! Finally, jeesh!!


First, let me say this has been on my desktop since Monday and I completely slacked on getting it posted! Yikes, jeesh, oops and sorry! Thank goodness I'm not in charge of the world or anything!

So, last Sunday, the Holy Rollers kept the Cherry Bomb “un-ignited,” but man, it was a close, tiring battle. At half time, I wondered if this would be another tie causing sudden death match, like the Cherry Bombs had with the Putas a couple of weeks ago. The entire game was played very defensively by both teams. Jammers not attempting a full jam, but choosing rather to call off a jam with just 1 or 2 points scored, just as long as the other jammer scored nothing. To me, that shows the true sport-ness (if you will) of roller derby, a decided strategy, played by both teams, a plan of attack if you will. A plan that played out well for the Holy Rollers, who took it 41 to 35.

Favorite events of the night:

Miss Conduct vs. Cherry ‘The Law’ Chainsaw in a two-lap duel. This scuffle shows the reason why both these ladies are such badasses. Cherry’s got however many inches and pounds on Miss Conduct, but as always, the killer Miss Conduct brings it. These two gals went at it, skated, then went at it again.

Also, in another penalty, these two ladies also had to arm wrestle. I think I’ve stated in the past that I can’t think of a skater in the league that could beat Cherry in an arm wrestle, and tonight was no exception. I got a couple of great pics (soon to come, once the disposable camera is all “shot up”) of the after fight that ensued when Miss Conduct lost and flipped the table and attacked Cherry Chainsaw. On my 1-10 scale of “How big are YOUR cajones?” Miss Conduct gets a well-earned nine, meaning she’s got cajones bigger than yours, and yours, and probably yours. I love Miss Conduct!

Smarty Pants and Rocky Casbah – during a jam, Smarty starting skating backwards, taunting Rocky and Rocky came with it. I had never seen Smarty start a scuffle, but these two went at it and had to literally be torn apart by the refs. Also, Smarty came off the track 2 or 3 times tonight.

Okay, so truth be told, the bout Sunday was PAINFUL for me. This season, I picked the Holy Rollers as “my team.” IE, they’re at the top of the ranking list of who I root for. But Rocky, who is my absolute favorite rookie for this season, was the chosen jammer for much of the bout for the Cherry Bombs, and I swore I wouldn’t root against her. I confessed my sins to her, and she agreed to take a pic with me at the next Cherry Bomb bout. Not only is she a badass skater, she's a sweet chick!

Tonight, I brought a good friend, who has heard me speak of roller derby often, we’ll call him The Brain, and when asked what his favorite part of the evening was, he replied “I really, really liked when the girls fly off the track, when they fight, and most definitely the plaid skirts.” Sounds like we’ve got a Holy Roller fan in the making!

This really was a close bout and a ton of fun to watch, even though I didn't cheer much! Thanks to the gals for all the fine skating!

Peace out and SK8 on!

Your humble banked track editor, Ã…naRchy

No comments: