Wednesday, March 15, 2006

CSI:Rollergirls

If you didn't watch CBS tonight, well, you missed out...sort of but not really. CSI:NY had a whole episode devoted to "Rollergirl Crime". Register your skates, ladies, cause they might be Lethal Weapons! Haaaaa-ha-haaaa-haaa-ha-haaaaaaaa....

[Composing self.]

Well, if you are thinking about Murder By Skate, then don't do it! Because they will totally catch your ass! Especially if it's fake Murder By Skate. (I was confussed also...and I watched the damn show.) But all they need is a few dedicated cops (some of which were strategically placed in the audience for their very 1st Rollergirl bout) , a couple of evidence/fiber gathering montages, and a desperate teleplay writer who apparently watches cable for show ideas.

It was a "great" Rollergirl crime episode...that was completely not about Rollergirls or Roller Derby.

CSI:NY Episode link: http://www.cbs.com/primetime/csi_ny/episodes/210/

So we start at a banked-track RD match between Manhattan Rollergirls & some other "team". It gets rough. Thank Goddess I was flipping channels at the right time. The girls stack up & start fighting. Suddenly, it's the NFL. Once they peel the Rollergirls off, a dead Rollergirl is produced at the bottom. OMFG!

1st of all, I had totally forgotten Gary Sinise was doing a TV show. Fuck me. I love how he summed up Roller Derby in 1 sentance though. (Roughly Paraphrased)
Girl Criminologist: I thought Roller Derby was a simple game.
Gary Sinise: It is. The jammer circles the track, lapping the pack once. Then the jammer scores points every time an opponent is lapped.
Girl Criminologist: This is my first bout. Isn't Roller Derby from the 70's?

And so on, and so on. Then it was at least 2 montages while gathering evidence. For a spell, they narrowed it down to a certain type of roller skate. But tests proved it wrong! I faded off sometime after. I really TRIED to watch it. However, I learned 2 things:
~ The spin-off CSI shows are all about the people working the case, not about the case. Remember when X-Files USED to be good? Before it every case became exclusively & specifically about Mulder & Scully? Yeah...it's that bad.
~ Gary Sinise, in true Law & Order style, disappears a 3rd of the way into the show, replaced by sub-par actors desperately trying to camouflage.

By the end, it was totally about something else, & I was like....What? I gave it a thumbs up & down. Up for noticing the NEW Rollergirl Era, but thumbs down for all their other CBS/CSI bullshit.

No comments: